History of the Grand Canal
The Grand Canal was built in the Georgian Period of Irish history and construction started circa 1756 and completed circa 1803. Dublin, the Capital City was linked to the Shannon, Ireland’s longest River.
Like a modern Motorway the Grand Canal was once a vital artery of trade and commerce. Barges carried grain, suger-beat, salt, turf, coal, Guinness and people. It carried water too and one of the original purposes of the Grand Canal was to provide a reliable source of pure water for the city and Arthur Guinness’s Brewery at James’s Gate where there was a harbour, a city basin and the Canal terminus. The barrell’s of stout arrived in far better condition by Canal than by horse drawn carts on dirt tracks ! In 1960 the last cargo boat that travelled on the Grand Canal was laden with kegs of Guinness.
Today the Grand Canal forms a 130 km. linear park through Ireland. It provides ideal cruising for the novice or those who just want to take is easy. It also provides excellent coarse fishing for the angler. The Grand Canal Towpath is a now a Way-marked Walking Route, ideal for the long distance walker.